Portfolio

Structural Engineering

Pine Grove Community Center

The Pine Grove Community Center was originally built as the Pine Grove Methodist Church circa 1898. As Pine Grove’s first church and the earliest Methodist Church in the area, this building served as the center of religious activity intermittently for over 50 years. According to the Colorado Cultural Resource Survey Architectural Inventory Form dated 2007, it may be the oldest remaining church building in Jefferson County. With limited funds for upkeep, the building deteriorated and was slated for demolition. Community action and fundraising saved the building in the early 1970s. When JVA was engaged in 2009, extensive structural repairs and modifications for code compliance were required. The building was leaning heavily, and the roof had sagged dramatically. The roof structure was selectively strengthened using new unobtrusive tie rods to pull the top plates in and to restore the roof’s strength. The building lacked a foundation and had suffered extensive deterioration due to poor grading. The building was moved, a new foundation installed, and the building moved back into place. The building was pulled back to a plumb condition and partially resheathed to resist the high winds in the area. The project was awarded the Stephen H. Hart award from History Colorado in 2008.

Location: Pine Grove, CO

Budget: $130,000

Square Feet: 900