Moffat Train Station Rehabilitation
The Moffat Train Station was built in 1906 and served train passengers until 1947. The Georgian Revival style building served as a warehouse until 1971 when it was abandoned. Subsequently it suffered from a fire, vandalism, animal infestation, and neglect. It was in poor condition when JVA began investigations in 2012. JVA’s design included specifying full masonry restoration and new steel framed roof and ceiling diaphragms to increase the building’s fire resistivity. Masonry work included cleaning and repointing of the exterior masonry, pinning the face brick to the back-up brick, raking interior mortar joint free of mortar damaged by the fire and by freeze-thaw cycles, and anchoring the multi-wythe brick walls to the diaphragms for current-day code compliance for wind and seismic resistance. JVA developed a complex internal façade bracing and sequencing scheme that facilitated workers’ access on the tight urban site.
Location: Denver, CO
Square Feet: 2,500