Civil and Structural Engineering
Harris Street Community Center and Library
Originally constructed as a schoolhouse in 1909, this two-story brick building with a walkout basement underwent a comprehensive rehabilitation and transformation in the 2010s. The building was adaptively reused as a community center and library and included a theater addition. JVA’s structural department was charged with strengthening deficiencies in the building’s roof framing system in part due to the large snow loads associated with the alpine environments, as well as bolstering the gravity framing and foundations of the structure to accommodate the change in use. The building features exposed timber trusses with steel rod ties and concealed micropile underpins.
Location: Breckenridge, CO
Square Feet: 26,500